Fill out our Daily Orange reader survey to make our paper better

Student Association

SA leaders share thoughts on chancellor’s Winter Message

Corey Henry | Staff Photographer

The Winter Message takes place annually at the beginning of spring semester.

Student Association leaders said they were thankful for Syracuse University Chancellor Kent Syverud’s continued support following the 2019 Winter Message on Monday.

SA President Ghufran Salih said the address was a good way to address the Greek life audit, the Cluster Hires Initiative and future improvements of the first-year forum. Salih’s speech, which preceded Syverud’s address, introduced the chancellor and thanked him for his cooperation and transparency with SA and the student body.

“Throughout the semester we’ve talked to him about various things, and he’s always pointed us in the right direction,” she said. “(Syverud) genuinely does care about students and he cares about student concerns or opinions.”

Syverud mentioned the different components of the Greek life audit during his speech. The audit, which was released via email to the student body early Monday evening, contains strengths, challenges and recommendations for SU Greek life made by auditors. SA Vice President Kyle Rosenblum said student voices are necessary to move forward with these recommendations.

“In terms of student representation, (we’re) making sure that when we’re having these discussions, students are involved in what the implementation of these recommendations will actually look like,” Rosenblum said.

Syverud’s mention of the Cluster Hires Initiative was also an important part of his speech, Rosenblum said.
“That’s something that’s going to be very big that I don’t think is talked about a lot,” he said. “These cluster hires are intended to promote higher faculty diversity both in subjects taught and identities of the faculties.”

Speaker of the Assembly Will Pritchett said the initiative is too focused on the STEM fields.

“There’s a lot more to the university than just the STEM fields,” he said. “It’s kind of weird because they gathered Invest Syracuse funds from all of the incoming students, and I think the incoming students should see the benefits of those funds.”

Invest Syracuse is a $100 million academic fundraising plan for SU to fund various initiatives. It was partially funded by an increase in tuition known as the Invest Syracuse tuition premium.

Syverud also mentioned SU’s ranking as a research institution. The opening of the Undergraduate Research Center will be beneficial for students, Salih said.

Pritchett said he was surprised by the candid nature of Syverud’s speech. However, the speech is not helpful to the student body without action, he said.

“The student body isn’t interested in speeches. They’re interested in actions,” Pritchett said. “What he said in his speech is good, but what’s more important is what comes as a result of it.”

Rosenblum said that the speech was a good way for the student body to stay consistently informed.

“(Syverud) holding these winter remarks in a public setting where students are always walking through is something that allows students to stay informed and give their input and work on the change that’s happening all over campus,” he said.

Salih said that she hopes for Syverud and the administration to take active steps in engaging with all students, rather than just student leaders.

“What I want top level administrators to know is that I hope that they take advantage of the face time they have with students at events like these,” she said. “I urge them to take advantage of events like these where they get to have these conversations.”